Click above to hear why and how we train caregivers to prepare tasty meals for seniors.
Seniors Should Enjoy Mealtimes
Our Culinary Companions® are trained to prepare tasty meals for seniors, as well as make the process a positive experience. In addition to addressing the need to satisfy one's hunger and supplying the nutrition necessary to support good health, our Companions design mealtimes to:
- Provide a feeling of familiarity - "comfort food".
- Fill a home with pleasant aromas that stimulate appetite.
- Encourage good feelings, provide social interaction, and hopefully even bring back fond memories.
Why An Elder May Not Be Eating Properly
You may notice that your senior loved one avoids eating, has lost their appetite and/or is not eating properly. This can happen for a variety of reasons.
- Decreased Sense Of Taste/Smell - Often a part of aging, this can take some of the joy out of eating by making foods seem bland.
- Tendancy To Be Frugal - This generation has experienced depression, wars and rationing. Plus, they remember when food bills were much smaller. So many seniors have a tendency to skimp, even when it is not necessary or in there overall best interest.
- Personal Limitations - Preparing meals can be overwhelming (and even scary) to those who can no longer reach a cabinet, grip a pan handle safely, or see clearly what they are cutting with a knife.
- Reactions To Foods - Eating may be avoided if it results in discomfort due to acidity, allergies and other imbalances.
- Chewing &/Or Swallowing Problems - Eating may be avoided if it hurts to eat. Gum problems and dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing) are common among seniors.
- Loneliness - Many seniors no longer have a special someone to cook for, or to share a meal with.
Caring Within "Their" WorldGuided By Our Executive Chef
Our Culinary Companions ® and caregivers are trained in the art of cooking for seniors by Henri Chazaud. Henri is an Executive Chef and a graduate of the prestigious Culinary Institute of America.
Henri puts a lot of thought and experience into designing our Keepsake Cuisine program, and creating menus and recipes for individual seniors. We invite you to watch one of our training videos.